30 minutes or fewer
Coating these patties in breadcrumbs before cooking them in olive oil makes them nice and crisp on the outside. They are delicious with salsa and a green salad. If time is short, you can also make these with prepared dried breadcrumbs.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh whole-grain breadcrumbs
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or soy cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbs. canned chopped green chiles
- 2 Tbs. olive oil plus more if needed
- Preheat broiler. Place 1 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs on baking sheet, and toast under broiler for several seconds, or until browned. Remove; let stand 5 minutes.
- Mash beans with fork in mixing bowl. Add cheese, chiles, toasted breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Form mixture into 4 patties, about 3 inches in diameter. Dredge patties in untoasted breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add patties, and cook until crisp and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes on each side; add more oil to pan if necessary. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 233
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 267 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g