The technique for this delectable gratin can be applied to any vegetable. To grind pistachios, use a food processor or blenderpulse on and off in brief spurts so they don't turn into a paste. For a different flavor, try pouring 1/2 cup coconut milk over asparagus before adding the crumb topping.
- 1 1/2 lbs. slender asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil or melted ghee
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbs. fine dried bread crumbs
- 3 Tbs. ground pistachios
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil or melted ghee
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Coat shallow 2-quart gratin dish or baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large skillet, bring half inch of water to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus, cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer until just barely tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place in prepared dish. Add lemon juice, 2 teaspoons oil or melted ghee, salt and pepper and toss well. Arrange evenly.
- Preheat broiler. Make crumb topping: In small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, pistachios, 1 tablespoon oil or melted ghee, lemon peel, ginger and salt. Sprinkle evenly over asparagus.
- Broil until crumbs are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn topping. Serve at once.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 95
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 9 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 207 mg