This versatile pie originated in Naples in the 1800s. Tradition has it that a local pizza baker was commissioned to create a special pizza to honor visiting Italian royalty, King Umberto and his Queen Margherita. Hence, this pie.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, optional
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup basil-flavored tomato or pizza sauce
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil plus extra leaves for garnish
- 2 cups shredded low-fat, regular or soy mozzarella
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Brush crust with olive oil, if using. Sprinkle with garlic, and spread sauce evenly over top.
- Top with diced tomatoes, shredded basil and mozzarella. Sprinkle with 1DA2 cup Parmesan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, garnish with basil leaves and remaining Parmesan and serve.
See also Gluten-Free Pizza Dough
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 770 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g