Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This versatile pie originated in Naples in the 1800s. Tradition has it that a local pizza baker was commissioned to create a special pizza to honor visiting Italian royalty, King Umberto and his Queen Margherita. Hence, this pie.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Brush crust with olive oil, if using. Sprinkle with garlic, and spread sauce evenly over top.
- Top with diced tomatoes, shredded basil and mozzarella. Sprinkle with 1DA2 cup Parmesan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, garnish with basil leaves and remaining Parmesan and serve.
See also Gluten-Free Pizza Dough
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 770 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g