Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Picture Dean Martin singing right to you: When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie. Thatll put you in the mood. This pizza crust is outstanding crunchy, but still slightly chewy and well worth making. But by all means, use your favorite bottled pizza or marinara sauce. For an inexpensive pizza stone, use unglazed quarry tiles to line your oven rack instead of using a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dissolve yeast in water in bowl. Stir in 1 cup flour, olive oil and salt. Stir in remaining flour and cornmeal. Knead dough against side of bowl to incorporate flour. Sprinkle work surface with flour. Place dough on surface, and knead 10 minutes, or until smooth and pliable. Form into ball, and put in lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic, and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, put eggplant, red onion and bell pepper on baking sheet; sprinkle with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Spray sheet and vegetables again. Roast 20 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes, or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Increase oven temperature to 450F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; dust with cornmeal, and set aside.
- Punch down dough, and divide into 2 balls. Put 1 ball in bowl, and cover. Sprinkle work surface with flour. Using rolling pin, flatten other ball into 12-inch round. Place on baking sheet. Form small rim around dough edge. Top with half the sauce and cheese, and sprinkle with half the vegetables and capers. Put baking sheet in oven.
- Bake about 10 minutes, top pizza with half the basil and oregano and bake 5 minutes more. Serve hot. Repeat process to make second pizza.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 660 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g