Tomato sauce, white beans and escarole make a delicious and nutritious combination. You can substitute 2 cups shredded radicchio for the escarole.
- 1 12-inch (1-lb.) prepared pizza crust, such as Rustic Crust
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 medium-size Spanish onions, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 head escarole, trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450F. Coat 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet with cooking spray, and set crustin pan.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 10 to 20 minutes, or until softened and golden, stirring often. Stir in escarole, garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 5 minutes, or until escarole is wilted, stirring often. Remove from heat, and add beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush crust with remaining oil.
- Spread sauce over crust. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Spread escarole-bean mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Cut into slices, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 429 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g