Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Virginia resident Carolyn Eskew offers this delicious example of vegan innovation.
- To make Polenta Cake: Coat 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Steam onion and garlic in steamer basket 10 to 15 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Set aside.
- Bring 3 cups lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in polenta, and cook 5 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring often. Set aside. Cook frozen greens according to package directions. Drain, and squeeze dry.
- Mash garlic in large bowl; stir in polenta, greens, and onion, and season with salt and pepper. Spread in prepared pie plate. Cover with foil and chill 2 hours.
- To make Salsa: Combine all ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut Polenta Cake into 6 wedges. Coat skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, sauté wedges 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until heated through and crispy at edges. Transfer to plates, and top with Salsa. Sprinkle with cilantro and vinegar, if desired.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 286
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 555 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g