For added drama, sprinkle this crunchy, lemon-scented waffle with powdered sugar to create a striking contrast with the bright magenta sauce.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk together soy milk, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, lemon zest, oil, vanilla and egg yolk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, whisking just until combined.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- Ladle 2/3 cup batter (or amount recommended by manufacturer’s directions for your waffle iron) into waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffles are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently open lid and remove waffle with fork. Serve immediately or transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time.
- While waffles cook, in medium saucepan, combine 11/2 cups blueberries, remaining 2 Tbs. granulated sugar, 2 Tbs. water and lemon juice. Bring to boil over medium heat and simmer until berries burst, about 7 minutes. Stir in remaining 11/2 cups blueberries and heat until warmed through, about 4 minutes. Top each serving of waffles with 1/4 cup blueberry sauce. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Serving Size Makes 12
- Calories 163
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 126 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g