Sliced flavorful mushrooms and red and green bell peppers accented with crumbled goat cheese work well as a sandwich filling, and their flavors are unified by the addition of garlic-basil pesto. A tossed green salad and fresh fruit round out the meal.
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, about 5 oz. total
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 kaiser rolls
- 1 1/2 Tbs. pesto
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 4 large red leaf lettuce leaves
- Preheat broiler.
- Scrape away black gills from mushroom caps, and slice caps into thin strips. Set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet, and sauté strips for about 5 minutes, or just until slightly wilted.Add red and green bell pepper strips, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice rolls almost completely in half widthwise, spread bottom half of each roll with 1/2 tablespoon pesto and toast under broiler for about 2 minutes, or until just browned. Remove from heat, and place opened rolls on individual plates. Layer 2 lettuce leaves on each bottom roll.
- Add remaining pesto and goat cheese to skillet, and stir until cheese melts and coats mushroom and pepper strips, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat, spoon equal portions of mixture onto one side of each roll and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 2
- Calories: 640
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 65 mg
- Fat Content: 42 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 18 g
- Sodium Content: 610 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g