This pizza has a rich, flavorful, spelt crust that is similar to a whole wheat crust. If you prefer a lighter crust, substitute 1/2 cup of oat flour for 1/2 cup of the spelt flour.
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- Pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 or 3 portobello mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese or soy cheese
- In small bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, combine flour and salt and pulse to mix. With machine running, add dissolved yeast through feed tube and process until mixture is crumbly. Keep machine running and add 2 tablespoons oil and process just until dough forms a ball, adding 1 to 2 more tablespoons flour if dough is too sticky. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let rise 45 minutes. Punch down dough, knead it several times, then flatten into a circle. Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough out into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 450F. In small skillet, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove mushrooms to paper towels to drain.
- Spread pizza dough with tomato sauce, sprinkle evenly with cheese and distribute mushrooms over cheese. Bake on lowest oven rack until cheese has melted and crust has turned golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 184
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 19 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 438 mg