Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This layered casserole is terrific for lunch or dinner served with a fresh spinach salad.
- In small saucepan, combine garlic, 1/2 cup milk and oil. Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until garlic is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put potatoes into large saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Lightly coat ovenproof casserole with cooking spray. In large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water with cabbage, leeks and cauliflower. Cook over medium heat until water evaporates and vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and stir over low heat, 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Gradually add remaining 1 cup milk, stirring until well blended. Return pan to heat, and stir until sauce thickens. Add cheese slices, and stir until cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth. Spoon cabbage-leek mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. When garlic is tender, squeeze cloves from their skins into milk-oil cooking liquid. Pour liquid into potatoes; mash with fork, leaving skins and some lumps. Mash in green onion slices, and black pepper to taste. Top cabbage-leek mixture with garlic mashed potatoes. Sprinkle potatoes with paprika. Bake until potatoes brown and filling is hot, about 25 minutes.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 323
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 1 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 194 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g