30 minutes or less
Make this soup without red pepper for something mild yet still flavorful.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cups chopped leeks (white parts only, 6 to 7 leeks)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 11/2 lbs. thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- In soup pot, heat oil. Add leeks, and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add potatoes and broth or water and 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover, increase heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Use back of spoon to mash some of potatoes against sides of pot to thicken broth.
- Stir in generous sprinkling of freshly ground pepper, horseradish, lemon juice and dill. Taste, and add more salt if desired. Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh dill.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6 servings
- Calories: 243
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 40 mg