Laura McAllister is a nurse who loves to cook and create new recipes. Her hobby is reading cookbooks and entering recipe contests. To her advantage, her husband eats anything she cooks.
- Avocado Salsa
- 1 large avocado, peeled and seeded
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. red pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- Potato Pancakes
- 1 lb. potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 3 Tbs. butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp. Simply Organic all-purpose seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray, for frying
- To make Avocado Salsa: Mash avocado with fork. Stir in tomatoes, green onions, lemon juice, and red pepper sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well, and chill 20 minutes.
- To make Potato Pancakes: Mash potatoes with butter. Transfer to medium bowl, and add eggs and onions. Sift flours, spices, and salt to taste with potato mixture; stir well to combine.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon potato mixture into skillet in 2-Tbs. dollops. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, then flip, and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, until golden brown.
- Drain pancakes on paper-towel-lined plate, transfer to separate plate, and keep warm in oven. Repeat process with remaining batter. Serve pancakes warm, topped with Avocado Salsa.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 263
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 86 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 287 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g