The color of this soup is a gorgeous burgundy, perfect for a holiday dinner. It’s both slightly sweet and slightly tart, and it’s meant as an appetizer—so serve it in small cups, not large bowls. It’s equally good hot or cold. Add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed well and stemmed
- 5 cups organic cherry juice or cran/cherry juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. almond extract, optional
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbs. water
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream for garnish, optional
- 10 small mint sprigs, optional
- Put cranberries in 3-quart saucepan. Add juice, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, pepper and almond extract, if using. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 15 minutes.
- Put soup in blender, and purée. Strain, put into saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add cornstarch mixture; stir well. Add dried cranberries, and cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream and sprig of mint for garnish, if using.
- Serving Size: Serves 10
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 83 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 25 mg
- Sugar Content: 75 g