Pears add a sweet, juicy crunch to sandwiches—try them in place of tomatoes or other veggies.
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans or 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 16 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 large jarred roasted red bell peppers, rinsed, drained, and halved
- 2 large Anjou, Bartlett, or Concorde pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula
1. To make Walnut Pâté: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet, and toast in oven 7 to 10 minutes, or until browned, shaking pan occasionally.
2. Transfer walnuts to bowl of food processor; add beans, lemon juice, garlic, oil, and 1/4 cup water. Purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To make Sandwiches: Spread each of 8 bread slices with 3 Tbs. Walnut Pâté. Top each with red bell pepper half, 2 pear slices, and 1/4 cup arugula. Spread remaining 8 bread slices wih 1 Tbs. Walnut Pâté. Place on top of sandwiches.
- Serving Size: Makes 8 sandwiches
- Calories: 318
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 453 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g