The grain quinoa (KEEN-wah) is a good source of calcium as well as protein. This dish can be eaten cold or enjoyed warm as a pilaf.
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 marinated sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- In medium saucepan, combine quinoa, 4 cups water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until most water has been absorbed, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool.
- In small skillet, toast sunflower seeds over medium-high heat until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In food processor, combine chipotle pepper with 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and salt and process until smooth. With machine running, slowly add oil through feed tube and process until blended.
- In medium bowl, combine beans and quinoa, sunflower seeds and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to mix.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 422
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 614 mg