Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The grain quinoa (KEEN-wah) is a good source of calcium as well as protein. This dish can be eaten cold or enjoyed warm as a pilaf.
- In medium saucepan, combine quinoa, 4 cups water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until most water has been absorbed, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool.
- In small skillet, toast sunflower seeds over medium-high heat until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In food processor, combine chipotle pepper with 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and salt and process until smooth. With machine running, slowly add oil through feed tube and process until blended.
- In medium bowl, combine beans and quinoa, sunflower seeds and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to mix.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 422
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 614 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g