This satisfying soup gets its thick texture from quinoa, a gluten-free whole grain. Feel free to throw in 2 cups of your favorite frozen vegetables to add flavor and nutrients.
- 1 medium red onion, diced (1¼ cups)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 10 oz. spinach leaves
1. Coat large saucepan with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in broth and 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Add quinoa, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes and spinach leaves. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, or until spinach and quinoa are tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 138
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 591 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g