A robust grain combo, this dish makes a quick and nourishing main courseand leftovers help start the day with a charge of energy. To round this out, serve with a tossed green salad. For dessert, consider a chocolate cake or rich brownies. Accompany the dish with a chilled white wine or a microbrewery beer, if desired.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups non-fat vegetable broth
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups artichoke hearts, drained
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add diced onion, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add remaining oil, quinoa and bulgur wheat, and continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes, or until grains turn slightly golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add vegetable broth, cover skillet, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus and beans, re-cover skillet, and continue cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed and grains are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, and stir in artichoke hearts and seasonings. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: SXerves 4
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 430 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g