Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
A robust grain combo, this dish makes a quick and nourishing main courseand leftovers help start the day with a charge of energy. To round this out, serve with a tossed green salad. For dessert, consider a chocolate cake or rich brownies. Accompany the dish with a chilled white wine or a microbrewery beer, if desired.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add diced onion, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add remaining oil, quinoa and bulgur wheat, and continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes, or until grains turn slightly golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add vegetable broth, cover skillet, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus and beans, re-cover skillet, and continue cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed and grains are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, and stir in artichoke hearts and seasonings. Serve hot.
- Serving Size SXerves 4
- Calories 280
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 430 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g