This salad is a delight to make in the summer when fresh basil and corn are in abundance. If you’re a newcomer to quinoa, this is a good recipe to try as an introduction because it’s tasty, quick and easy. You’ll have time to prepare the basil, red peppers and onion while the quinoa is cooling. For a striking presentation, serve the salad inside hollowed-out beefsteak tomatoes.
Meal Plan: Warm pita triangles can be served alongside to either dip or fill. Cucumber wedges are also a refreshing side dish. Try lemon sorbet for dessert.
- In medium saucepan, combine quinoa, salt and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 minutes.
- Add corn, cover and cook until quinoa is tender but still a little crunchy, about 3 minutes.
- Drain quinoa mixture and transfer to large serving bowl. Toss well, fluffing with fork. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Add basil, peppers and onion. Stir in oil and enough lemon juice to give salad a distinct lemony edge. Season with salt to taste, garnish with a few whole basil leaves and serve.
- Serving Size 4 Servings
- Calories 377
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 559 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g