The fresh vegetables of this vivid dish–tomatoes, eggplant and bell peppers–evoke all the delectable flavors of southern France.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb. ripe plum tomatoes (about 5 medium), chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Garlicky Crumbs (optional, February, 01/p.39)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese or Parmesan-style soy cheese (optional)
- 1 large green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. uncooked radiatore pasta
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water; rinse under cold running water and drain well. Transfer pasta to serving bowl.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant and tomatoes and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender and tomatoes release their juices, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add vegetables to pasta in bowl.
- Add reserved pasta water to skillet and cook over high heat, stirring, until reduced slightly. Add it to pasta and vegetables and toss to combine. Serve pasta topped with basil and garlic crumbs and grated Parmesan or soy cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 374
- Carbohydrate Content: 68 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 14 mg