When cooked, red-leafed radicchio has a nutty flavor that goes well with mild cheeses like mozzarella. You can also substitute arugula or watercress in this recipe.
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 small heads radicchio, cored and cut into strips (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 4 small plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 oz. smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- Place broth and 3 cups water in large glass measuring cup, and heat in microwave 5 minutes, or until boiling.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 6 minutes, or until golden, stirring often. Add radicchio, and cook 4 minutes, or until wilted, stirring often.
- Stir in rice and sugar, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until liquid is almost completely absorbed, stirring often. Add 1/2 cup hot broth mixture. Cook until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring constantly. Continue adding broth mixture 1/2 cup at a time, and cook 10 minutes, stirring often and allowing rice to absorb most of liquid before adding more. Stir in tomatoes, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until rice is creamy and tomatoes are hot. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1 Tbs. oil, mozzarella, parsley, and Asiago cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 232
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 401 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g