The secret ingredient here is strong coffee, which gives these cookies their rich flavor.
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. flaxseeds
- 3/4 cup cold, strong coffee
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes (3 oz.)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp. almond extract (or rum extract)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1. To make Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Grind flaxseeds in blender 30 seconds, or until reduced to fine powder. Add 1/4 cup cooled coffee, and blend 2 minutes. Add prunes and remaining 1/2 cup coffee; blend 1 minute, or until combined. Add margarine and almond extract; blend 20 seconds to combine. Blend in sugar, then add to flour mixture. Fold in raisins and almonds.
2. Drop 1-Tbs. dollops of dough 1 1/2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 14 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
3. To make Glaze: Whisk together all ingredients and 1 Tbs. water in bowl until smooth. Drizzle 1/2 tsp. Glaze over each cooled cookie.
- Serving Size: Makes 54 cookies
- Calories: 83
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 46 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g