This is a dish with a rich blend of satisfying flavors. To peel fresh tomatoes, make a shallow X-shaped cut at the stem end of each tomato. Bring a quart of water to a boil in a saucepan, add tomatoes and blanch for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water. The skins will slide off easily.
- 4 medium-sized eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 medium-sized zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-long slices
- 1 6-oz. pkg. sliced button mushrooms
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 large plum tomatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 4 Tbs. vegan Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage leaves
- 3 Tbs. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbs. dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place eggplant halves face down on prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes, or until flesh is soft. Increase oven temperature to broil.
- Spray cut sides with added oil, place face side up on pan and broil 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375F.
- Scoop flesh from cooled eggplants into colander, sprinkle with salt and set aside. Sprinkle insides of eggplant shells with salt, and place them cut side down in separate colander to drain.
- Heat oil and crushed pepper in large skillet or 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, 1 minute. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper, and sauté 3 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms, and cook mixture 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add drained and rinsed eggplant flesh and lemon juice, and reduce heat to medium. Dice tomatoes, and add tomato paste, sherry, 3 Tbs. Parmesan cheese, sage, parsley and thyme. Reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Rinse drained eggplant shells with cold water, and place face side up on baking pan. Divide Ratatouille among shells, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cheese. Cover shells with foil.
- Bake filled shells at 375F for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 151
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 208 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g