Serve this simple soup over grilled or toasted whole grain bread and drizzle individual servings with more extra virgin olive oil, if you like.
- Makes 4 servings.Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized bunches red chard (1 to 1 1/4 lbs. total), leaves torn to bite-sized pieces, stems and ribs chopped
- Sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked or canned cannellini or white kidney beans (drained and rinsed if canned)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and the chard ribs and stems. Sprinkle lightly with salt, reduce the heat slightly, and saut´ until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 more minutes until garlic is fragrant but not browned.
3. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the beans and the chard leaves. Cover and simmer until the chard leaves are wilted and tender to the bite, 5 to 7 minutes longer.
4. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe printed with permission from Healthy in a Hurry: Simple, Wholesome Recipes for Every Meal of the Day, by Karen Ansel and Charity Ferreira.