Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
You have the option to form the lentils into balls or patties, or to serve this mixture spread on a platter, like a thin pâté.
1. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the red lentils and bulgur wheat, cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grains are tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, and cook the onion for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring, until translucent. Add the Red Pepper Paste, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Stir the onion mixture into the lentils and grains, cover and set aside for 20 minutes. Stir in half of the scallions and half of the chopped parsley. Spoon onto a large serving platter, and garnish with remaining scallions and parsley.
4. Alternatively, when the lentil-and-grain mixture is cool enough to handle, use your hands to knead it together. Once the mixture is well blended, form it into balls or shape it into patties. Arrange the balls or patties on a platter, garnish with remaining scallions and parsley, and serve.
- Serving Size Serves 10
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 35 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g