This velvety smooth soup is especially suited as a light meal with brown rice and vegetables.
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (1 cup)
- 14-oz. can coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbs. curry powder, preferably hot
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In medium saucepan, heat 2 Tbs. oil over medium heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring often, until onions start to brown, about 10 minutes. Add 4 cups water, lentils, carrots, coconut milk, 1 tsp. salt and bay leaf. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and cilantro. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add to soup.
- Remove bay leaf. In food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until velvety smooth. Taste, and add a bit more salt if desired. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6 servings
- Calories: 399
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 33 mg