Juicy rhubarb and fragrant peaches soak deliciously into tender buttermilk biscuits, making this an ideal summertime treat.
- To make Biscuits: Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or coat sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry blender or 2 table knives to cut butter and cream cheese into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center, and add buttermilk. Stir with a fork just until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it very briefly. Pat into a 1/4-inch-thick piece, and cut biscuits with a 3-inch cutter. Reroll any dough scraps, and cut. Arrange biscuits on prepared baking sheet, brush tops with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, transfer to a rack and let cool slightly.
- To make Filling: Stir together in a medium-sized saucepan rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer rhubarb to a bowl. Increase heat to medium, and boil liquid until syrupy, about 2 minutes or until about 1/2 cup remains. Add syrup to reserved rhubarb, and set aside.
- Blanch peaches in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove peaches with a slotted spoon, and refresh under cold water. Slip off skins and discard. Cut peaches in half, remove pits and thinly slice. Add to rhubarb, and stir gently to mix. Whip cream in a chilled bowl until firm peaks form. Fold into yogurt.
- To assemble shortcakes, use a serrated knife to slice biscuits in half, and place bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon fruit filling onto and around biscuits. Spoon some yogurt-cream topping over fruit. Replace biscuit tops, and top with whipped cream.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 290
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g