This soothing and simple casserole is a great family-style meal that can be easily modified by adding extra ingredients. To vary flavors and textures, experiment with different kinds of rice, such as fragrant jasmine or basmati.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 11/2 -quart baking dish.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, garlic, bay leaves, dill, thyme and parsley. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add brown sugar, paprika and rice, and stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes and 1 cup water. Bring mixture to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Cover, and bake until rice is tender, about 11/2 hours. Sprinkle with pine nuts, and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 237
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 33 mg