Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This picnic salad is a medley of rice, vegetables, and tofu that’s a meal in itself. Because there’s no mayonnaise in it, there’s little risk of it spoiling on a hot day, though it should be kept as cool as possible. The rice will absorb more moisture when the salad is chilled, so you may have to adjust seasonings and add a drop of vinegar or olive oil before serving.
1. Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in covered saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and has absorbed all water. Cool. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Stir tofu, tomatoes, green onions, bell pepper, cucumber, and squash into rice.
3. Whisk together vinegar and mustard in small bowl. Whisk in oil until mixture forms smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Stir vinaigrette mixture into rice mixture. Chill well before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 246
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 285 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g