Serve in a pool of Cranberrry-Orange Compote (November '98/p. 48).
- 2 cups natural almonds (10 oz.)
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs. grated orange peel
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbs. all-purpose flour, sifted
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Cranberry-Orange Compote (November '98/p. 48)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 8 1/2-inch round springform pan. Line bottom with waxed paper.
- In food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. (It is important not to over grind and produce a paste.) Transfer almonds to a bowl and add sugar and orange peel; mix well.
- In large bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites and salt until stiff peaks are formed. Fold in almonds a little at a time. Take care not to over mix. Sift flour again, a little at a time, over mixture and gently fold in. Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake in center of oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes before releasing from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Transfer cake to serving plate and dust top with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
- Serving Size: 6 to 8 Servings
- Calories: 379
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 255 mg