Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Serve in a pool of Cranberrry-Orange Compote (November ’98/p. 48).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 8 1/2-inch round springform pan. Line bottom with waxed paper.
- In food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. (It is important not to over grind and produce a paste.) Transfer almonds to a bowl and add sugar and orange peel; mix well.
- In large bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites and salt until stiff peaks are formed. Fold in almonds a little at a time. Take care not to over mix. Sift flour again, a little at a time, over mixture and gently fold in. Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake in center of oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes before releasing from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Transfer cake to serving plate and dust top with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
- Serving Size 6 to 8 Servings
- Calories 379
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 255 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g