You can do all the preparation up to 2 days before serving and refrigerate the various salad components separately. Store and transport the marinated beets in a plastic food storage container, the arugula in several large plastic food storage bags lined with paper towels or in a salad bowl, the nuts in a small plastic food storage bag and the extra dressing in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- 6 medium beets (3 lbs.), scrubbed
- 3/4 cup shelled or chopped walnuts or pecans (scant 4 oz.)
- 4 bunches fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots (2 medium)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment or foil. Pierce beets with a skewer or fork. Place on prepared baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Set aside to cool slightly. Keep oven on.
- Spread nuts in small baking pan and bake until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool; chop coarsely if necessary. Trim, rinse and dry arugula, then tear into bite-size pieces.
- Make dressing: In medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, juice concentrate, shallots, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil. Spoon half of dressing (about 1/3 cup) into small jar or bowl and set aside.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut each one into 8 or 12 wedges. Add to dressing in bowl and toss well to coat. (If desired, marinate beets, covered, in the refrigerator up to 2 days.)
- To serve, in large salad bowl, toss arugula, marinated beets and reserved dressing. Sprinkle with toasted nuts and serve.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 197
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 198 mg