This salad can be assembled in minutes, but it does require some advance preparation. A good plan is to roast and marinate the beets overnight, then serve them the following day.
- 2 lbs. beets, preferably golden, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups grated daikon
- 1 1/2 cups grated red or purple radishes
- 1/4 cup grated fresh horseradish or 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- Juice of 1 lemon (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 lb. mizuma
- 3/4 lbs. arugula
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. tamari
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- Zest of 2 limes (1 rounded tsp.)
- Juice of 1 lime (2 Tbs.)
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, make marinade. In small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients until well blended. Set aside.
- Remove beets from oven. When cool enough to handle, remove skins. Slice beets and place in shallow baking dish. Stir marinade and pour over beets. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- To serve: In small bowl, combine daikon, red radishes, horseradish, lemon juice and salt. Wash greens and arrange mizuma toward outer edge of individual salad plates. Tear arugula into bite-size pieces and place in center of each plate. Arrange 3 or 4 beet slices on arugula and top with radish mixture.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 84
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 254 mg