When trimming your beets, save the leafy stems and sauté with olive oil, fresh minced garlic, and salt and black pepper for a vitamin A–packed side dish.
- 1 lb beets, peeled and sliced into 1" rounds
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3 tbsp fresh pomegranate arils, chilled
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, torn
1. Roast beets: Heat oven to 500°F. Brush beets with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Roast beets on a baking sheet until fork-tender, 35–40 minutes. Remove and let cool.
2. Prepare hummus: In food processor or blender, process garlic until finely chopped. Add beets, yogurt, and juice, and process until smooth. Add tahini and molasses; process until fully incorp-orated. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl; drizzle with remaining 1 tsp olive oil and top with arils and mint.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 134
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g