Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
An easy way to purée this soup is to use a hand-held immersion blender.
- To make Spiced Pumpkin Seeds: Toast seeds in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring for 5 minutes, or until they pop. Stir in curry, turn off heat and add tamari. Stir, season and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make Roasted Butternut Bisque: Put squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake about 50 minutes, or until tender. When cool, use paring knife to remove peel. Cut squash into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, brown sugar, ginger and garlic. Cover; cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, 15 minutes. Add squash, stock and cider. Simmer mixture; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes.
- Purée until smooth. Season, bring to a simmer, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 420 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g