This easy, elegant fall salad can be served as a light supper.
- 1/2 cupServings
- 4 Bosc, Comice, Concorde, or Bartlett pears, halved and cored
- 8 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons fig jam, divided
- 5 ounce soft goat cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups watercress or baby arugula
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place pear halves cut-side up in 2 large baking dishes.
2. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam in center of each pear half. Top with goat cheese rounds, and lightly drizzle with oil. Bake pears 30 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.
3. Whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons fig jam, lemon juice, and mustard in bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Divide watercress among 8 serving plates. Sprinkle with onion and walnuts. Top each with pear half, and drizzle with dressing.
From the October 2010 issue of Vegetarian Times.
- Serving Size: Serves: 8
- Calories: 173
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 82 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g