“This appetizer is a ‘tease’ for upcoming flavors and textures,” says Stanford Inn by the Sea co-proprietor Jeff Stanford about the following recipe; we’re posting it as extra credit for VT readers of our January/February 2012 “Paradise Found” feature, which showcases recipes from a special Valentine’s Day menu served at the inn’s Ravens’ restaurant. A lively interplay of fresh ingredients adds to the dish’s sensual appeal, and also to the prep time. Home cooks who thrill to a challenge are invited to roll up their sleeves and get their slicing, whisking, kneading, and baking on.
1. To make Marinated Apple Slivers: Combine tomato paste, olive oil, and chile flakes in small saucepan; bring to a low boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and strain oil into small bowl. Discard solids, and cool oil. Marinate apple matchsticks in oil 10 minutes before serving flat bread.
2. To make Spinach-Basil Pesto: Blend all ingredients in food processor until smooth. Set aside.
3. To make Roasted Portobellos: Preheat oven to 425˚F. Whisk together oil, wine, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in bowl. Spread mixture on large baking sheet. Place Portobello mushrooms cap-side-down in marinade, and roast 20 minutes, or until browned and tender. Cool, then slice each mushroom into 5 or 6 slices.
4. To make Flat Bread Dough: Combine flours and salt in bowl of stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Add olive oil and 3/4 cup water; beat or stir until smooth. Knead 7 to 10 minutes in stand mixer fitted with dough hook, or knead by hand on well-floured work surface until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Cover, and let rest 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 425˚F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Divide Flat Bread Dough into 4 balls. Roll each ball into 6-inch-diameter circle on well-floured work surface. Transfer dough circles to prepared baking sheet. Spread 2 Tbs. Spinach-Basil Pesto on each circle, then top with mushroom slices and kalamata olives. Bake 10 minutes, rotating tray halfway through cooking time. Top with Marinated Apple Slivers just before serving.
- Serving Size Makes 4 6-inch flat breads
- Calories 393
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 1482 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g