Roasting vegetables adds a satisfying, bold flavor dimension to soup. Be sure to roast the vegetables long enough for the onions to get well done, as undercooking them will give the soup a raw flavor. Because roasting leaves a brown skin on the potatoes, the soup won’t be perfectly smooth when you puree it. But don’t worry: A few chunks in the soup contribute to the texture.
- 2 lbs. all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut in half (4 to 5 potatoes)
- 2 medium-large onions, halved and peeled
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 medium head garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbs. butter or soy margarine
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk, half-and-half or soy milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place potatoes in large bowl. Snip root end off each onion and cut each half into 3 sections. Add onions to potatoes, breaking up onions with your fingers to separate.
- Drizzle vegetables with oil, add thyme and toss well. Spread vegetables on baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice top third off head of garlic and place it on a piece of foil. Put 1/2 tablespoon butter on top of garlic and drizzle 2 teaspoons water onto foil. Fold sides of foil to enclose; place on pan with vegetables. Roast vegetables 45
- minutes, then remove garlic. Continue roasting vegetables until tender, about 15 minutes more.
- In large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over medium-low heat. Transfer half the roasted vegetables to food processor and add 1/2 cup hot broth. Process mixture until fairly smooth, then transfer to bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetables and a little more hot broth, squeezing garlic pulp out of husks into last batch. Stir all pureed mixture into broth in pan; keep pan over low heat.
- In small saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in milk and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in ladleful of soup and cook 1 minute.
- Add mixture back to soup. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Serve right away, or cool, refrigerate and reheat when needed.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 257
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 12 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 191 mg