Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Piquant black olive paste (sold at many supermarkets) and balsamic vinegar syrup really kick up the flavor of this elegant but super-easy appetizer. If you want, put a small slice of vegan cheese inside each roulade.
- Slice red pepper pieces lengthwise into 163⁄4-inch-wide strips. (There may be some left over.) Spread each strip with about 1⁄4 tsp. olive paste.
- Bring vinegar to a simmer in small saucepan over medium heat, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes. It will be very syrupy. Watch carefully at the end because the syrup can burn easily.
- Place one cube of baked tofu on one end of red pepper strip; roll up and secure with toothpick. Repeat to form 16 roulades. If making ahead, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until an hour before serving. To serve, place each roulade on 1 basil leaf on serving platter; drizzle roulades with balsamic syrup, and serve.
- Serving Size Makes 16 pieces (8 servings)
- Calories 58
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 118 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g