Jarred roasted red peppers create a speedy homemade sauce for these mini pizzas, but you can also roast your own red peppers to cut down on sodium. The mozzarella topping puts a deposit in your tryptophan account.
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained (2 large peppers), plus more for garnishing pizzas, if desired
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, plus 1 Tbs. oil
- 2 6 1/2-inch whole-wheat pita rounds, split apart to make 4 thin rounds
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
- 1/4 lb. (1 ball) fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and thinly sliced
- 16 small fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to broil. Purée red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes and their oil in food processor 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth.
2. Place pita rounds on baking sheet. Spread 1/4 cup red pepper sauce on cut side of each pita. Sprinkle with oregano, then top with mozzarella and garnish with sliced red peppers, if desired. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Scatter basil leaves over pizzas, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 193
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 22 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 313 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g