Pureeing roasted red bell peppers with a little vegetable broth gives you the texture of a cream-based sauce with very little fat and calories. This sauce makes an ideal accompaniment to fettuccine. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Reheat over low heat.
- 1/4-cup servingServings
- 4 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and cut into strips (reserve 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In large skillet, combine red pepper strips, onion, garlic and wine. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until onion is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to food processor. Add broth and process until pureed.
- Return puree to skillet. Simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring, about 15 minutes. Stir in reserved pepper strips and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: Makes 2 cups
- Calories: 27
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 9 mg