You’ll be amazed at the versatility of roasted root vegetables. You can serve them hot with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, mash them coarsely, and/or sauté briefly in olive oil and season to taste. You also can purée, season and heat them for an elegant side dish.
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. beets, washed and trimmed
- 2 lbs. root vegetables, washed and trimmed: carrots, turnips, parsnips, parsley root, daikon, radishes, celery root
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. salsify, washed and trimmed
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut beets and turnips larger than 2-inches in diameter in half. Cut rutabagas into 2-inch chunks. Cut celery root into eighths or 2-inch chunks. Cut large daikon into 2-inch chunks.
- Cover 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spread all root vegetables in single layer on baking sheets. Cover with another sheet of foil. Crimp all edges to seal packet well. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven. Let cool in foil until cool enough to handle. If desired, peels can be scraped off easily with paring knife or rubbed off with paper towels.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 207
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 233 mg