Try this recipe with any hard-shelled winter squash, such as kabocha, buttercup, butternut or pumpkin. Or use a variety for deeper flavor. Refrigerate leftover squash butter up to 5 days.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl, combine squash, garlic and onion.
- In small glass measuring cup, combine maple syrup, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; mix well with fork. Pour over squash mixture and toss until well coated. Transfer to prepared sheet, spreading evenly. Roast until squash begins to brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove squash mixture from oven; set aside to cool. Transfer to food processor, discarding any pieces that are too browned. Process until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Serving Size: Makes 3 cups
- Calories: 21
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg