A tray of toasted bread rounds topped with colorful roasted peppers and crumbled blue cheese makes an attractive finger food that’s uncommonly delicious. Roasted peppers can be made up to 3 days ahead or frozen up to 1 month.
- serving without bread rounds or cheeseServings
- 4 large red and/or yellow bell peppers
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- Crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Toasted bread rounds for serving
- Roast peppers over gas flame or under broiler, turning, until charred all over. Place in paper bag, and allow to steam and cool for 20 minutes. Working over bowl, scrape off blackened skin, and remove cores, seeds and ribs, saving any juices from inside peppers. Chop peppers coarsely.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring often, until soft and just beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Add roasted peppers and 1 to 2 tablespoons reserved juice. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. (If peppers start to dry out, add more reserved juice as needed.) Add paprika, salt and sugar, and mix well. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool. (Roasted peppers can be made ahead. Cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month.)
- To serve, place roasted peppers on toasted bread rounds, and top with crumbled cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: 20 Servings
- Calories: 18
- Carbohydrate Content: 1 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 54 mg