This salad is wonderful as is, but for a delicious variation, try adding roasted corn and roasted red peppers.
AVOCADO "CAESAR" DRESSING
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 ripe medium-sized Hass avocado, peeled and pitted
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Salt to taste
- 12 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (bagged or fresh)
- 1 medium-sized tomato, seeded and diced
- To make Avocado “Caesar” Dressing: In skillet, toast cumin seeds, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Using spice grinder or mortar and pestle, pulverize; set aside.
- Put cumin, lime juice, oil, mustard, garlic, salt, 1/4 cup water and avocado into food processor, and purée until smooth; add water, if needed. Season with pepper and cayenne.
- To make Salad: Line plate with paper towel. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tortilla strips, and cook, stirring constantly, until crisp and lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer strips to paper towels, and drain. Sprinkle with salt.
- Toss lettuce with tomatoes and dressing in large bowl. Transfer mixture to individual plates, and top with tortilla strips.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 230 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g