Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This salad is wonderful as is, but for a delicious variation, try adding roasted corn and roasted red peppers.
- To make Avocado “Caesar” Dressing: In skillet, toast cumin seeds, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Using spice grinder or mortar and pestle, pulverize; set aside.
- Put cumin, lime juice, oil, mustard, garlic, salt, 1/4 cup water and avocado into food processor, and purée until smooth; add water, if needed. Season with pepper and cayenne.
- To make Salad: Line plate with paper towel. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tortilla strips, and cook, stirring constantly, until crisp and lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer strips to paper towels, and drain. Sprinkle with salt.
- Toss lettuce with tomatoes and dressing in large bowl. Transfer mixture to individual plates, and top with tortilla strips.
- Serving Size SERVES 6
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 230 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g