Serve this dense, satisfying bread with a meal, or slice for sandwiches.
- 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 3/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill dark rye flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/4 Tbs. caraway seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp. finely ground coffee beans
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. Simply Organic fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 Tbs. Fleischmann's white vinegar
- 2 Tbs. dark molasses
- 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 2 Tbs. margarine
- Vegetable oil, for greasing bowl and pan
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1. Stir together yeast, sugar, and 1/4 cup warm water in bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Whisk together rye flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, caraway seeds, coffee, onion powder, salt, and fennel seeds in bowl. Combine 1 cup water, vinegar, molasses, chocolate, and margarine in saucepan, and heat over low heat until margarine and chocolate are melted.
2. Stir molasses mixture into rye flour mixture. Add yeast mixture, and stir with wooden spoon 2 minutes. Add remaining all-purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time, until soft dough forms. Transfer to floured work surface. Let rest 15 minutes. Knead 15 minutes. Place dough in bowl coated with vegetable oil. Let rise 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with oil. Shape dough into ball, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 50 minutes, or until bread sound hollow when tapped.
4. Bring cornstarch and 1/4 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Brush cornstarch mixture over top of loaf. Bake 2 to 3 minutes more. Cool on wire rack.
- Serving Size: Makes 1 loaf (8 slices per loaf)
- Calories: 281
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 328 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g