Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
In this stew, the vegetables are cut large for satisfying texture (and less chopping!). Serve the tagine over brown rice, couscous, quinoa or another steamed grain.
1. Heat oil in 4-qt. Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions and bell pepper, and cook 10 minutes, stirring often, or until onions are softened. Stir in tomatoes, celery, 1 cup water and saffron. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes.
2. Stir in chickpeas, turnips, carrots, salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes.
3. Add zucchini, and simmer 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary.
4. Serve with spoonfuls of Spiced Cilantro Dressing.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 196
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 690 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g